Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
lindies
lindies

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:44pm

Post Subject: hull thickness

good evening all. I was if someone could help with the following: I have seen narrowboats advertised on some websites that say original hull thickness such as 10/6/4 or 5/6/4 would someone please tell me what the numbers mean. Thanksyou.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:55am

Lets take 10/6/4. 10 = 10mm thick bottom plate. 6 = 6mm thick hull sides. 4 = 4mm thick cabin side and roof. If you find one with an extra number as in 10/6/5/4 the last figure refers to the roof and the second form last to the cabin side. The smaller the numbers the cheaper the boat should be BUT also the lower its value when you come to sell it. Small numbers are not necessarily a bad thing but you should get a survey before before completing a purchase to ensure whatever thickness steel the boat is built form it is not excessively pitted or worn. Tony Brooks

lindies
lindies

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:37pm

thankyou Tony-b. most helpful

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.