Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
cliveharco
cliveharco

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:17am

Post Subject: Battery charging

Dear Tony,I have one starter and three 110ah leisure batteries on a narrowboat. I am struggling to keep these charged via the engine/alternator system as I am only an occasional boater.Taking he batteries out to mains charge them is not an easy option. I see companies like RING automotive and others have a range of smart chargers that diagnose, restore and charge. Would one of these coupled with a generator similar to the SDMO with improved sinewave output as in June's issue help to restore and adequately recharge my batteries?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:17pm

Post Subject: Battery charging

Personally I would reserve judgement about "restore", but as long as the generator has an adequate output to drive the charger (that is both in amps and wave form & stability)and you run the generator for long enough i expect it will be fine. Do not simply assume the quoted output of the generator will be OK because a 1 kVA generator is far from a 1kW output on loads that have a power factor as a charge may well. If you are only an occasional boater with the boat sitting at its moorings for long periods without use have you considered solar. MY 60 watt solar panel mounted horizontally plus controller that will do an automatic equalistaion charge every 30 days seems to keep my batteries in fully charged even it I leave the boat with half charged batteries. That way you will not be introducing the dangers of a petrol generator. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.59 seconds.