Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
johnstone
johnstone

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:50pm

Post Subject: Lister SR2 oil queries

I have recently purchased a small narrowboat with a lister SR2 inboard engine. It has rather a strange habit of transferring oil from the reduction box into the gearbox. It seems this is a habit it has had for many years and the original owners made a small manual pump which they used to transfer it back from one to the other. It is now time for me to replace this oil but I just need to ensure that it is definitely the same oil used in both the gearbox and the reduction box. I wonder if you could also kindly tell me why there are two filling caps for the main engine oil but only one dipstick for the engine. Do I assume that putting oil in one of the s filler caps will fill both sections? Many thanks in advance.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:46pm

It has two oil filler because although the crankcase (the bottom bit)of the engine is in one piece the cylinders, cylinder heads and rocker covers are individual items and the rocker covers come each with a filler. Fill through the easiest one. I suspect the seal(s) between the gearbox and reduction box have either been fitted the wrong way round or have failed so the oil transfers itself. I think the most economic way forward is to continue as the previous owner was doing and transfer the oil back again. Assuming it has a Lister gearbox both the gearbox and reduction box use SAE 80 gear oil. Nowadays probably marked something like EP80 or even EP70-90. Tony Brooks PS. You may find another filler low down on the side of the engine!

flicks
flicks

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:40pm

That's brilliant Tony. Many thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.