Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
canalman5
canalman5

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:55pm

Post Subject: calorifier thermostat

I have fitted a new twin coil calorifier which is connected to an alde 2920 boiler which also feeds my central heating system. The calorifier is also connected to a heat exchanger on my engine and finally I have an integral immersion heater for when we are linked to a 240v supply. What would be very useful when we are moored up away from base is to have a thermostat fixed to the outside of the calorifier and connected to the boiler controls so that hot water is always available even first thing in the morning. This assumes that I leave the boiler running overnight. Is this a safe option and a practical proposition ? Any thoughts would be very welcome Thank you

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:36am

The tall Alde's use a pilot burner which is alight all the time the boiler is running and a boiler thermostat to control the burner. The room thermostat only controls the circulating pump. This means that the boiler looks after itself and all you can do is influence the water circulation. When the water in the system reaches the setting of the boiler stat the burner shuts down and as the water temperature falls below a certain setting it turns on again. If you leave the room thermostat off no water is circulated so the burner remains off for most of the time. Now I assume that you are asking about having the Alde heat the water without the radiators and if this is possible depends upon how you have plumbed it. I am assuming you have a flow and return pipes and the radiators are plumbed between these two pipes. If you turn off each radiator's control valve then all the boiler output will flow through the pipes and calorifier so if you fit a cylinder stat on the calorifier and wire it to the thermostat connections in the block on top of the Alde it should work as you wish but if you do not turn the radiators off you will also heat the boat. It might be easier to use a control valve at a T where the calorifier and heating system pipes branch. If you use a T drilling (as opposed to an L)You will be able to choose between radiators, calorifier or both. There is a problem in that most cylinder stats are designed for AC use but if you are happy to change it every few years they should be fine. Please check that this with Alde in case it invalidates the warranty or Alde sees a problem with it. Tony Brooks

canalman5
canalman5

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:11pm

Tony Thank you for the advice and glad that it is possible. I do have a gate valve in the system that enables me to close off circulation to the radiators. One question, is there a particular type of cylinder stat that i shoudl use ? Thanks again

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:56am

I must tell you that you need to find one rated for low volatge DC as I indicated in my first reply, the brand is not important apart from the quality of its construction and consequential service life. However now you tell em that you can shut the radiators off you do not need the complication. Set the boiler thermostat (the knob on the boiler with the number on it) to a suitable water temperature, shut of the radiators and set the room thermostat to a room temperature that is not likely to be reached. The room stats will not turn the boiler off so the boiler will circulate water through the calorifier. Whilst the calorifier is cool heat will be drawn from the water so the boiler keeps working. Once the calorifier is up to temperature the boiler water will also stay hot so the boiler thermostat shuts the boiler down. If you do not want the boiler firing up during the night have a look at Programmable Thermostats. These act a bit like central heating controllers and allow you to specify the hours during which the thermostat will operate. Some allow you to specify the temperature as well. I think you would need to add an on/off switch to replace the one on the existing room stat but I do not see that as a problem. However although the circulating pump will not be running the boiler will fire up occasionally just to keep itself up to temperature. The advantage is that the pump will not be running and drawing electricity at night. Tony Brooks

canalman5
canalman5

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:16pm

Tony Thank you for your most helpful response Regards Peter

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.