Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
favours
favours

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:57pm

Post Subject: Stern Gland

Should I be concerned that at present I do not get any water dripping from my propshaft stern gland. The boat only has 130 hours on it from new, however it is fittred with a manual greaser and after running I can screw it down a least a turn? The shaft will turn easily by hand when the engine is out of gear, so alignment and resistance seems ok. Duncan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:51pm

Personally I would not worry. I found years ago that with stainless steel shafts if you tightened the gland until the water drip just about stopped BUT when turning the greaser down a bead of water or grease appeared around the shaft there would be no excessive wear. The greaser sounds normal to me. I always turn down until the slack has been taken up and then at least one more turn. This forces grease into the shaft bearing and hopefully expels some of the mud that has probably got into it. Tony Brooks

favours
favours

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:03pm

Tony, The issue is that there is no water drip, and hasn't been since new! Duncan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:08pm

Assuming it is not one of the packless glands which it is probably not because of the greaser then I gave you my opinion in my reply. If you want to try loosening the adjustment then be my guest but I doubt there is a problem - have you actually checked to see if that bead of water or grease appears at the front of the gland when you screw the greaser down. That is a bead - NOT a drip. Tony Brooks

favours
favours

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:20pm

Tony, ok I will check for a bead of grease. I have confirmed that it is not a packless gland. Thanks Duncan

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.