Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
DJ
DJ

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:22pm

Post Subject: electric cables

tony i have a question for you.im looking at fitting out a sailaway and having expanding foam insulation applied and battoned as this appears to be the best insulation method. do i need to run my cables through conduit or can i lay them in neat. i am an electrical engineer by trade so the wire fitout isnt a problem. also could you tell me what qualifications are needed to become a marine electrician. thanks. dave

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:01pm

As far as I am aware there are no mandatory qualifications to become a "marine electrician" on inland leisure boats but a good understanding of vehicle electrics is very important and as more an more boats are installing mains equipment full qualifications for the latest "edition" of the IEE regs would be a very good idea. I suspect your indemnity insurance company may have other ideas though. A far as I am aware it is only polystyrene foam that attacks the cable insulation so if your foam is PU based then you do not need to run the wiring in cables. However you need to consider the heat dissipation of cable laid against foam and also the ease of replacing cables if the worst should happen. If you have not done it already please order or download the Boat Safety Scheme Guide from their website. Tony Brooks

DJ
DJ

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:54pm

thanks for getting back so quickly. thats cleared things up for me

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.74 seconds.