Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tommo
Tommo

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:36pm

Post Subject: 240v to 12v

Hi Tony I am not sure what I need or want. I am moving onto a mooring which has electricity, can you tell me what I need to get to be able to connect to the mains supply which will keep the 12v system toped up when I am off and on the boat. I want something like a battery charger, but can something like that be left on all of the time, on a trickle charge. Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:54pm

Post Subject: 240v to 12v

You need a multistage battery charger that drops its charging voltage to a float level when it thinks the batteries are fully charged. Although you could use a modern car type charger I would be slightly concerned about the quality of its components and their susceptibility to damp problems so one marketed as a marine charger would be best. The marine version may well have other beneficial modes of charging as well as bulk charge and float. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.