Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Rosie&Jeff
Rosie&Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:41pm

Post Subject: Navy Steel

Hello Tony,whilst we were visiting a marina recently I noticed a bloke applying a coating of a whitish coloured liquid to the waterline of a narrowboat that I later found out was about to be blacked,being a boat owner and also needing to black my own boat next year I asked him what he was applying,he said it was called Navy Steel and that at their boatyard they applied it to all steel boats at the waterline and it aids the delay of the return of the rust to the hull.Have you or any of your readers any knowledge of this product and would it be worth considering it for my future blacking.Thanks,Jeff Mac

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:49am

Post Subject: Navy Steel

The website (http://www.navysteel-rust-converter.co.uk/) shows it to be a rust converter but gives few technical details so it is probably similar to Fortan or Vactan. I note the technical details advise shot blasting which I doubt the yard carries out. They also just refer to overcoating with "conventional coats" which may or may not include tar or bitumen based products as tropically used for narrowboats. Check other boats that you know have had this treatment a year or so ago and if there is no sign of the blacking flaking off then there is no reason not to use it, especially if it comes within a competitive price for the blacking using at least two coats of blacking. However if you are paying extra for it and have a typical hull (8/6/4 or better) then I doubt it will be value for money because you have years of rusting before there will be a problem. In any case I very much doubt it will stand up to the scrapes and knocks we get around the system any better than the blacking so rusting at these places will still take place. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.35 seconds.