Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
paulmorris
paulmorris

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:54pm

Post Subject: low sulphur gas oil

with low sulphur gas oil on the horizon what are the implications for engines with rotary DPA pumps and for any extra filtration that may be required, I also understand that their may be problems with materiels used in diesel fuel systems?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:56am

Please email me so I can send you a piece about the dyed EN590 derv I wrote for Burghfield Boat Club. Tony@TB-Training.co.uk. We will not be buying gas oil but dyed EN590 road diesel so if anything it should be cleaner than central heating fuel. However it will contain up to 7% bio-diesel and rising so problems related to water and thus bug need addressing. Anyone with fuel equipment more than perhaps 5 to 10 years old will have to be aware that gradually leaks MIGHT (not will) develop so regular inspection for external leaks from lift and injection pumps PLUS feeling & smelling the lubrication oil for signs of diesel dilution from internal leaks will be good practise. If enough readers request the notes I will talk to the editor to see if we can get them put on this site. They cover 2.5 sides of A4 in 10 point type. Tony Brooks

favours
favours

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:25pm

Tony, Continuing this topic, there would seem to be a problem looming, in that it is recommended that you fill your diesel tank as full as possible during the winter to reduce condensation. However there is a recommendation with biodiesel that you should not store over long periods. These pieces of advice whilst correct will prove a dilema. Anyone any ideas as to best practise from Jan 2011?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:10am

From what I have read and heard over the last year or so it seem clear to me that the fuel companies are indulging in considerable âback coveringâ as far as the storage of bio-diesel is concerned. Yes the 7% bio content will break down more readily than petro-diesel but I have seen a translucent drum of 100% bio-diesel in a workshop at Beta that showed no signs of breakdown after well over six months in a heated workshop. Our fuel will be in the dark and during the winter at low ambient temperatures. Just to add to your concerns I have been told that copper pipes act as a catalyst for the breakdown but having not heard any reports about such problems in the automotive field I think we should wait and see and I do have copper fuel pipes. All I will do as far s breakdown is concerned is to try to run the tank very low in late summer so I start winter with fairly fresh fuel. I am far more concerned about the extra water content in bio-diesel and the relationship between water and diesel bug. Bio-diesel is more easily biodegradable than petro-diesel so I am confident we will see an increase in bug related breakdowns on boats that have not been well maintained. In my view it is vital that you remove any water and bug infested (cloudy) fuel from the bottom of the tank at least once a year and seek to minimise any water build up. This includes keeping the tank full over the winter and the regular use of water removing fuel additives. Any signs of cloudy fuel or jelly in filters should lead to the immediate use of a biocide additive like Marine 16. Those of us with the time and inclination may well want to rig up an air dryer connected to the tank breather using a desiccant like silica granules over the winter but it will probably require regular granule changes (I am not so inclined at present!) Just remember that we are only talking about 7% bio-diesel so any scares you hear that are based on 100% bio-diesel experience and/or theory will probably take over 10 times longer to show themselves. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.