Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
camtomson
camtomson

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:26pm

Post Subject: mooring away from my residential mooring.

Hi, As a 'newbie', Can anybody advise me on this I have a b.w. residential mooring in the midlands. If I wanted to work in the north for 3 months; Bearing in mind the rules re. Continuous Cruising ...What would be the response of BW inspectors if I towpath moored for a long period.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:56pm

As long as you followed the BW mooring guidelines and move a sufficient distance every 14 days there should be no problem. However what BW will consider a sufficient distance is not that clear. BW talk about "locality" & "parish" so you may have to move a fair distance. There is a school of thought that if you have a permanent mooring then the BW guidelines do not apply to you, I would not take that view myself and suspect BW could make things very difficult if you chose to ignore the guidelines. I suspect that at this time of year it would be far less trouble to get a BW "winter mooring" for the period you need to be in the north, however you would have to vacate it by the end of March. Tony Brooks

camtomson
camtomson

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:10pm

Thanks for your advice Tony. I suspected this would be the case, but wondered if the rulings about proximity, distance and parish had been clarified, or challenged.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:25pm

I get the distinct impression that the BW regulations might not be in strict accordance with the Act under which they have been introduced but this is of little help unless you can afford to loose a lot of money employing lawyers and also have the strength to fight BW through the courts. The problem I see is that unless someone fights a case in the courts BW will continue to be judge and jury and they just might levy a substantial financial penalty at license renewal time or refuse to renew your license. However unjust it seems to individuals (especially when they see others ignoring BW regulations wit apparent impunity) its probably better to obey BW and keep your head down. I have long advocated that BW needs a new act of parliament to clarify such things and set realistic penalties and enforcement procedures. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:25pm

I get the distinct impression that the BW regulations might not be in strict accordance with the Act under which they have been introduced but this is of little help unless you can afford to loose a lot of money employing lawyers and also have the strength to fight BW through the courts. The problem I see is that unless someone fights a case in the courts BW will continue to be judge and jury and they just might levy a substantial financial penalty at license renewal time or refuse to renew your license. However unjust it seems to individuals (especially when they see others ignoring BW regulations wit apparent impunity) its probably better to obey BW and keep your head down. I have long advocated that BW needs a new act of parliament to clarify such things and set realistic penalties and enforcement procedures. Tony Brooks

camtomson
camtomson

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:30am

In light of the latest news about a new controlling body .. ''like the national trust'', I think I shall have to play safe and look for a winter mooring! Thanks for your input.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.