Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
carraboat
carraboat

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41pm

Post Subject: galley waste water

hi on my narrowboat my galley waste empties below the waterline is this unusual? there is no problem at present but could there be a future problem with the skin fitting. regards colin barnett nb polako

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:30pm

Most narrowboats do not use a skin fitting as such. They simply have a piece of steel pipe welded into the hull. If you do have an actual skin fitting please ensure that it is metal (bronze) and fit a shutoff valve immediately on the inside so if a pipe or hose fails you can easily stop the water flow. There is no problem with the height of the skin fittings (apart from good practise) for non-hire boats so it should not be a BSS problem although if the boat is CE marked it might contravene the Recreational Craft Directive. Further good practise is to use metal pipes inside the hull to ABOVE the waterline and also to turn the valve I mentioned off whenever you leave the boat in the winter in case frost damages the pipes or hoses. Tony brooks

carraboat
carraboat

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:41pm

hi thanks very much for your reply i will make closer observations to determine fittings regards colin barnett polako

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.