Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
wirren
wirren

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:49pm

Post Subject: Nanni air filter box with no filter inside...

Tony, our 2007 Sea Otter is fitted with a Nanni 21hp 3 cylinder engine. The black moulded plastic air box / unit on the inlet manifold has nothing inside it, other owners confirm the same on their engines. ( Nanni also confirm that they do not have a filter fitted due to the damp conditions & the filter getting dirty !! )My question is - do most marine engines have an air filter / gauze fitted ? I am considering fitting a K&N type universal clamp on filter if there is sufficient room. Any comments welcome, Mark.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:09pm

Post Subject: Nanni air filter box with no filter inside...

Dear Mark, Some Vetus models also have no air cleaner. What you have is an intake silencer to cut down intake roar. I have also know BMCs running for years without even an intake manifold - not that I would advocate that. The importance of an air cleaner depends upon how dirty and abrasive the air entering the engine is. Boats do not normally work in road dust, although they will to some degree in city centres, so if your Sea Otter is the true narrowboat type and not the centre cockpit cruiser I would not bother. If it is the cruiser or if you have a hairy dog on board I would think about fitting an air cleaner but I don't think it is in any way vital. Oh, some Isuzus also have no air cleaner. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.