Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tommo
Tommo

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:42pm

Post Subject: Fridge

Don't know I this is a daft question or not. Can you tell me which one will run the batteries flat first, if I had a 12v fridge connected to 4 leisure batteries or a 240v fridge run through an invertor. Its just I cannot decide wether to change my 12v fridge for a 240v fridge and run it through the invertor. Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:37am

Post Subject: Fridge

One of the old Electrolux or similar 3 way fridges running on 12V will run the batteries flat very fast because they draw perhaps 8 amps without a thermostat. Then after far longer the 240v one and a short wile longer the 12V one. The 12v compressor fridge will run for longer because you are not using additional current to run the inverter but it is probably measured in a few hours, certainly not days. If you spend a long time with a generator running or on a shoreline then a mains fridge will probably be more cost effective. If you are CCing then take a big gulp at the price and go down the 12v route unless you have installed a significant solar array or perhaps use a wind generator every time you are moored up. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.