Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tommo
Tommo

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:58am

Post Subject: Batteries

Hi Tony my narrowboat has 1 x starter and 2 x leisure batteries. I want to increase the leasure batteries to 3 or 4, is it just a case of adding them and connecting them all together or is there something else I must change or check. Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:32am

Post Subject: Batteries

In an ideal world you should do your power audit & charging calculations to ensure your battery bank will actually store enough electricity for your use (probably why you want to fit more batteries) and that the alternator can get them to 80% or so of fully charged in between two to four hours of running (calculations on my website). Using commonly stated "rules of thumb" (which I do not like because all boats are used differently) as long as your alternator has an output in amps of about 25% of the battery bank capacity in Ah then I doubt you will have any problems - but it does depend upon your use. Of fr more importance is to ensure the main charging and supply leads are fitted so the positives are all at one end of the bank and the negatives on the other. Otherwise you stand a good chance of getting an uneven discharge and charge across the bank leading to a shorter battery life. Do not stint on the charging cable size - too large is far Better than too small. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.