Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
steing
steing

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:39pm

Post Subject: Cassette toilet or pump out

Hi Tony We are looking to buy a used narrow boat for continuous cruising! I have ruled out so many boats based on that they are pump outs, most higher value boats appear to be fitted with the pump out, and not many cassettes. Should I be fixated with this dilema, because my belief was cassettes are more cleaner, hygenic, odourless, and not a problem if we become frozen in. If more expensive boats have pump outs, and are more problamatic, why do boaters have them fitted. Thanking You

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:45pm

Personally, after years of changing from "bucket & chuck it" Elsans through recirculating toilets to dump through pump outs nothing would induce me to go back to one of those dirty, smelly cassette toilets. I am more than happy to pay my £15 every few weeks to avoid the often insanitary, dirty and smelly cassette dumps. You see it is very much a personal choice and there is not much any one can say to sway others one way or the other. In my view the only valid advantage you list is that dealing with a cassette may be easier than a pump out when iced in. Now there are several different types of pump-out. The old, simple and relatively trouble free dump throughs may smell if they have the inadequate breathers that most have and also if you insist on using toilet fluid that kills all the bugs, good and bad like Elsan blue. Thousands of hotel rooms use macerator toilets connected to the mains and I do not hear much about smell or them being unhygienic. Macerator pump-outs are no different apart from the possibility of small OUTSIDE the boat as they remove stuff from the bowl and flush it. Vacuum toilets are very similar but personally both types give too many opportunities for electrical or mechanical breakdown for my liking. I can not help thinking that all those top end boats and hire boats must use pump-outs for good reason. I also wonder if the storage of the spare cassette (full or empty) is a savoury as some people hold. For pump-outs you need to find a fluid that works to help the aerobic bacteria thrive and these do not cause a smell and avoid any fluid that kills the good bacteria. Two very large bore tank breathers also do much to ensure the good bacteria get access to lots of oxygen which again helps reduce small. I have fitted a 12v computer fan and timer switch to one of my pump-out breathers to ensure positive ventilation and this has again done much to reduce smell. Tony Brooks

favours
favours

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:42am

Tony, Can you recommend a fluid of the type you mentioned in your reply. Duncan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:12am

I can not recommend on the magazine site because there are so many products out there and I have not tested them all. The one I like to use is Biomagic and will use the liquid Odorlos but I suspect this has been superseded by Biomagic. Remember there are many boaters who just throw in yeast tablets. The important factor in smell is keeping the effluent supplied with oxygen and not killing all the bacteria, good and bad. The bad anaerobic bacteria seem to be much harder to kill and these are the ones that make the smell so any additive that says it supports the aerobic bacteria should be fine. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.