Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
minnowboy
minnowboy

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:29pm

Post Subject: Lifebuoy

Have just purchased a lifebuoy for my narrowboat should this be fitted with grabline I've heard contradicting comments on this question.Many Thanks Richard

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:06pm

As far as I am aware there is no requirement for a private narrowboat to even carry a life ring (I think that is what you are referring to) so you can do as you please. If by grab-line you mean the line around the circumference of the ring then the only drawback I can see is that it may catch on something and slightly delay the deployment of the ring. If you are talking about some other form or the ring with a line attached to allow you to retrieve the buoy, plus I hope casualty, then things are not so clear cut because the more line you have the greater the chance of tangles - especially with inexperienced throwers in a panic. There is also the real danger that deployment from the stern may well end up with the line around the prop especially if two people are involved who are panicking. Personally my ring has the line around the circumference but no other line. Tony Brooks

minnowboy
minnowboy

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:58pm

Thanks Tony it was the fear of prop entanglement that concerned me.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.