Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
locostmike
locostmike

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:07pm

Post Subject: Fridge/Freezer

Hi, I'm new to boating and am having a new galley installed on the boat I'm buying. I'd like to fit a built in fridge and seperate freezer and have seen the shoreline offerings. Are there other quality brands available? Where is the best/cheapest place to buy them? Thanks Mike

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:13pm

Post Subject: Fridge/Freezer

If you intend to operate without very regular access to a land line and charger OR very significant solar or wind charging I urge you to do a pessimistic power audit and charging calculations as explained on TB-Training.co.uk. I very much fear you still feel boats are connected to the National Grid and far too many people make that mistake when new to boating. I suspect it will show the freezer will have to go and then you can use the ice/freezer box in the fridge. It all depends on the power/charging calculations though. I think Waco and Engel both do true built in versions of both units but if you need to ask the price they are possible not for you. The other option is A+ rated mains units running from an inverter. You will have very great choice form all the usual domestic outlets but you will be using more electricity than a 12v compressor fridge. I do not feel the magazine can be seen recommending retailers, I think you need to do some research. Often there are cheaper offers at boat shows. The next one is probably at the NEC in February. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.