Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Tryfan100
Tryfan100

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:05pm

Post Subject: Winterizing

Hi all. I am a first time boat owner and have taken some 'common sense' precautions against freezing water damage. I have drained the fresh water holding tank and allowed the water pump to push the residual water out of the taps (which I have left open), but I don't intend to drain off the calorifier since it's fairly well insulated. However...I do want to use the boat over the winter and want to know if I can do so without having to re-charge the water tank and system because of the calorifier? In other words, will running the engine with the fresh water system drained off damage the calorifier or any other part of that circuit? Thanks! Paul

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30am

Remember water will almost certainly be trapped in the shower mixer if you have one and there may be an issue with the shower pump out pump. As you have left water in the calorifier it should be fine to run the engine. IF you had not I would have had to warn you that some people hold that doing so can cause the internal "coil" to fracture because the water is no longer supporting in and damping vibrations. However I think this depends upon the type and design of calorifier. I have never had this problem on vertical calorifiers with the ordinary bent 1" or 22mm coils but I could see a modern one with thin wall crimped coils might fracture. I have had one or two horizontal ones mysteriously fail over the winter when I was on the hire fleet. Tony Brooks

Tryfan100
Tryfan100

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:42pm

Tony, thankyou. the calorifier is less than a year old and lies horizontally, so I'll proceed with caution. I'll also perhaps run some 'green' antifreeze down the shower drain and therefore through the pump attached there?

favours
favours

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:44am

Tony, If Paul runs antifreeze into the shower drain, will this not cause an environmental issue when he eventually pumps it out into the canal. Is there a better way to do this? Thanks Duncan

Tryfan100
Tryfan100

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:40pm

Hi Both. I haven't done it yet. By 'green' antifreeze, I perhaps should have said 'eco-friendly'. I've got the impression from somewhere that there is such stuff. I won't be putting standard anti freeze down the drain for the very reasons you say, Duncan.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:51pm

There is such a thing as potable antifreeze so that must be fairly non-hazardous or you could use alcohol as long as it was renewed every so often to combat evaporation. Even the red/purple greener antifreeze is not that green. The easiest thing is to get a helper to hold a bucket under the shower outlet. However if its a large diaphragm pump like a Whale the I expect the diaphragm would allow sufficient space for freezing without damage, but who knows what pump is fitted. Tony Brooks

Tryfan100
Tryfan100

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:46am

...I did think of keeping water in the domestic tank and adding copious cheap vodka as a 'drinkable' anti-freeze, on the supposition that if I didn't drnk it neat, but used the water after boiling until the tank needed refilling, then the alcohol content would evaporate. And, didn't the Russian nobility bathe in vodka? perhaps ideas above my station!!

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.