Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
sindys
sindys

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:35pm

Post Subject: ring free oil

what is it and is it suitable for a 1500 cc 1985 thornycroft engine

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:15am

Dear Sindy, "ring free oil" is just a product name and has absolutely no link with oil specification. Your question is a bit like asking what a (Ford)"Fiesta" is and if it is suitable for moving families without giving any more information. I think your engine is based on a BMC 1.5 and you can download the manual from the Calcutt Boats website. This should give you the proper oil specification. Now if the "ring free oil" has an SAE rating of something between SAE 15W40 and 20W50 (or even 10W40 in this weather) in API CC to CE I expect it will be fine. I am interested in why you chose to mention "ring free oil" because if you are trying to overcome a problem having the problem described would be much more help. Tony Brooks

sindys
sindys

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:00pm

i was told by a fellow boater that older boats use it esp ones that do not move around . also the engine does smoke at start up and when reving harder its due a full service so just want the best oil

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:47pm

I suspect the boater may have been talking about Morris Lubricants Ring Free Oil and they list a 20W50 in API CH4. Now this will lubricate your engine and being a 20W50 oil is suitable for more worn engines. However its API spec is higher than that normally recommended for the BMC 1.5 so there MIGHT (not will) be an increased risk of bore glazing. If the start up smoke is white then all older BMC 1.5s seem to do it for 5 or 10 minutes and if its starting easily at the moment I would ignore it. If the smoke when revving and in gear is black just ease the throttle back a bit because its probably overloading caused by the prop being slightly too large, but again I would ignore it and just throttle back a little. Personally I would not get hung up on brand names and choose any oil that meets the SAE and API specification in the manual. As far as I am concerned the "best" oil is the one that meets the specifications at the best price but NOT one that is the best price and does not meet the specification because that is false economy. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.36 seconds.