Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
havinago
havinago

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:14pm

Post Subject: build

hi, at the stage in my life where i want to build my own steel canal boat , where can i get build plans? thank you

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:37am

This all depends upon what you mean by "plans" and "build". If you are talking about buying the steel and the welding kit then there used to be someone who advertised in the magazines but a quick Google threw up http://www.acornengineer.co.uk/show_cat.php?id=4 17. However before you go down this route please double check to ensure that you are fully conversant with the requirements of the Recreational Craft Directive because if you are not it is possible that you could end up with a boat that is illegal to sell in the EU so would have to be scrapped. IF you are talking about fitting out a pre-built hull and superstructure then the same warning about the RCD apply but the internal layout can be pretty much anything you want. In either case please also get your hands on the Boat Safety Scheme Guide and make sure the boat complies with that as well. Tony Brooks

daibark
daibark

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:26pm

Hi Chris, its a huge undertaking and even if you are a decent welder you will need jigs pulling equipment etc and a forklift truck to handle the base plate and to lift your hull plates and cabin sides and of course the roof when it is ready to lift on. I am basing this on the assumption that your base and roof plates will be in long lengths rather than 2400 long etc! If you wish call me at work and I will try to help you but I feel you should think twice before you embark on such a big undertaking as this. best wishes Dave. 0151-523-9000 (Aintree Boats)

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.53 seconds.