Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
enytime
enytime

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:28pm

Post Subject: engine

engine will not start from cold fine when hot can take up to 20min to start plugs ok fuel ok no air trapted when turning over smoke is coming out of exust trays to fire up but wont when it does start and gets hot it will start firt turn of key

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:51pm

I do not like it when readers assert that thing (heater plugs) are OK without giving any evidence or test results - especially when they imply they think the plugs heat the fuel. If you have clouds of smoke from the exhaust (not a few wisps) and the engine will not start the possible explanations are: Faulty glow plugs. Low compression. Low cranking speed (battery, wiring or starter fault). injection timing incorrect. Unless someone has been messing with the injector pump then the last item is unlikely. I now need to know what tests you have done to confirm the glow plugs are OK and the results of a compression test. I am concerned that you can crank for 20 minutes and then the engine will still start. This may suggest low compression making it easy to spin the engine. If you know how to do it try ensuring all the valves have a small clearances between the valve head and rocker arm. Tony Brooks

alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:05am

I had a similar problem with my 1991 BMC engine when I bought the boat 4 years ago, I did what I call "an actual test" and that is to remove the plugs and connect them directly across a battery, what I noticed compared to the new glow plugs that I bought and tested was that the heating probe or element on my old plugs glowed in the centre of the probe and not right at the tip as the new ones did, I also found that the ports where the plugs fit where badly carboned up, so following the manual procedure and cleaned them out and since then the boat starts fine, even in temperatures of recent times like -5 or -10 the boat starts, albeit a bit slugish due to the thick cold oil and generaly cold conditions, but it does start. What I do now is remove the glow plugs twice a year, October ready for winter starting and then in the spring ready for the cruising season. Hope this is of some help. Cheers, Alan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:55am

Thanks Alan, this is exactly why I get a bit cross when we get assertions that certain things are "OK" with no readings or descriptions of the tests performed. Your post illustrates beautifully how even amperage measurements can not guarantee a plug is working properly - especially with the pin type plugs used on a BMC 1.5. I am not so sure you need to take the plugs out twice a year but at least that way there is very little danger they will become carboned in so the tip snaps off. I would certainly do them once a year or every two years and I would also coat them with copper grease (Copperslip) when refitting them. Tony Brooks

enytime
enytime

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:15pm

thanks for your email can u tell me if heat plugs glow just at the tip or all the stem as mine glow all the way up

enytime
enytime

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:18pm

thanks for your email i have sent a new question i should have replyed insted . please can u answer my question

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:33pm

BMC 1.5 glow plugs normally start to glow towards but not quiet at the tip (perhaps 1mm clear of the tip), then the heat spreads to the tip and then back up the "pin".

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.