Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
DJ
DJ

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:12am

Post Subject: rcd

hi, i have just seen one of your replies to a question on a stove installation on a sailaway.in the reply you say get whoever is overseeing the rcd compliance and paperwork.do you really need someone to oversee the build and produce the relevent paperwork or can you do the work and then have a bss done at the end instead. could you give me a rough idea on costs for someone to oversee and produce paperwork to rcd. thanks dave

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:55am

Dear Dave, First of on the cost of RCD compliance. I have no idea but I also know lots of people have done it all themselves. It will depend upon the amount of work required and probably ranges from a few hundred pounds to thousands. However the RCD is linked to a whole series of ISO standards that are very expensive to buy. Depending upon where you live the library service may allow you on-line access to the standards but then again it might not - especially with cuts looming! I have seen adverts from those offering to produce the RCD documentation and I suspect a number of surveyors will also do it. Googling RCD Documentation identifies those offering such a service and also software to help you. As long as you build the boat for your own use and keep it for five years then you can do what you suggest BUT it will be illegal to put the boat on the market in the EU within those 5 years and even after 5 years the lack of an RCD certificate may well affect the value of the boat. It is also worth noting that to gain RCD compliance you would need proof that the calculations regarding the hull have all been done and are compliant. I do not see how an amateur could easily produce such calculations. You also need to bare in mind that all replies have to be made in the knowledge that the reply may need defending in court at some time in the future, especially when the question gives the impression that they may be looking for short cuts or money saving. People have been prosecuted for supplying boats with fraudulent or non-existent RCD documentation so take care. Tony Brooks

DJ
DJ

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:44pm

thanks for the reply.i definately wont be tackling the shell build. im looking at getting a sailaway and doing the internal fit out myself with the view to doing some continuous cruiseing when completed.will look into the surveyor fron tho as you suggested.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:59pm

If you are only doing a fitout then things are not as complicated providing the shell builder provides proof of RCD compliance for their part of the work. Most of the RCD work will be in ensuring all the equipment you buy is CE marked or boat use and keeping records. You should take advice to ensure the electrical systems, gas & fuel systems comply with the relevant ISO standards - oh, and the stove if you fit one.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.58 seconds.