Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
DJ
DJ

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:16am

Post Subject: pump out

a friend has told me that as i intend to live on my boat installing my own macerator to enable self pump out would be wise. 2 reasons. firstly so i could pump out the tank myself using the macerator into an elsan point 2nd. if i was ever iced in i could pump out into a field in an emergency can you please tell me if this is true thanks dave

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:07pm

As far as I am aware the maccerator/pump assembly is located behind the toilet bowl to chop and pump the effluent from the bowl to the top of the tank. I can see no way it could then be used to pump from the bottom of the tank to and external hose. Secondly not all BW Elsan point are suitable for such use so the cost saving may be more illusory than actual. I am appalled that you should even consider that pumping raw sewerage into a field could ever be a responsible and acceptable practise. Before you go too far down the specifying the toilet route please remember that all maccerator and vacuum toilets require a reliable electrical supply. If you get a faulty or flat battery bank they will not work. A simple dump through toilet associated with a holding tank with TWO large bore breathers will create very little smell - especially if you fit an extractor fan in one of the breathers. I use a 12v brushless computer fan. If you do get iced up and run out of fuel how are you going to charge the batteries? I would suggest that perhaps you need to look at a cassette toilet and carry spare cassettes. At least you could dig a hole in the field to empty it if you really had to. Tony Brooks

DJ
DJ

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:37pm

thanks.i wasnt too happy about just emptying the tank into a field either.have spoke to him and his idea is to put a separate macerator to the tank purely for pump out use.im a bit new to boating but i thought marinas did their own pump out service. do they let you do a self pump out in the way described? i get a lot of conflicting advice from people hence why im asking the experts

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:49pm

If you want to self pump out with your own equipment when there is a suitable disposal facility then you need to talk to Lee Sanitation (www.leesan.com) to get a price for one of their self pump out kits and the find somewhere you are happy to store it on the boat once it has been used. Most marinas and boatyards offer an attended pump out at perhaps £15. Some offer a DIY pump-out using their professional pump out equipment as do BW and the Environment Agency at selected sites. These may cost between £12 & £15. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.