Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
DJ
DJ

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:05am

Post Subject: fit out

im about to start a sailaway fit out and would like the inside lined in oak.i can get oak faced ply or real oak faced mdf. the mdf comes out a lot cheaper. can you tell me if mdf would be suitable to line out a boat or should i get the ply instead thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:39am

Oh dear, another "how long is a piece of string" question. I think you need to research the properties of each material and then make your own decision based on your own situation. MDF usually comes with both faces veneered whilst ply usually only comes with one BUT both faced plies are available at extra cost. Things like cupboard doors can be routed in MDF to provide detailing and when varnished present an acceptable finish. MDF will absorb water and swell & stain so if there is any danger of water - even condensation - getting onto an unprotected surface (especially the "end grain") it might not be such a good material. If the faced ply is "ordinary" interior ply then it is like to delaminate if it gets wet where as WBP ply should not. If you want to consider proper marine ply which is unlikely to have voids and filler in its construction then it is likely to be very expensive. Neither will be particularly good at taking fixings through the ends but ply will make a stronger screwed joint through its face. Sink a boat using MDF and you may well be doing another fitout where as WBP ply may still be OK once it has dried. I would not like to manoeuvre and fix thin sheets of MDF (if you can get them) to the deckhead, I suspect they may well simply snap. I used MDF when I first bought the boat for fixed furniture in the front cabin, but I used ply for the back cabin furniture & linings. Try to get some samples and leave them standing in a bucket of water for a several weeks. Veneered ply can easily get the dark glue used to stick the layers together bleeding through the decorative veneer. This produces loads of little dark brown spots when varnished so whatever you choose make sure you inspect every board you buy and reject any showing signs of spots on the surface. Lastly, the budget boats tend to use MDF so if you use it you will be limiting the resale value of the boat. Tony Brooks

DJ
DJ

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:59am

thanks tony will take your advice and go for the exterior ply.

DJ
DJ

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:00am

thanks tony will take your advice and go for the exterior faced ply.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.