Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
alister
alister

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:50pm

Post Subject: Webasto problems

Hello everyone I am having problems with my Webasto central heating system. I have had the webasto unit replaced after the old one supposedly coked up so much that the water was only heating up to luke warm temps. It is heating 3 rads and a towel rad in the bathroom plus the hot water. No matter how many rads I have on or off the water is still only luke warm either in the rad or coming out of the tap. I have had the plumbing system checked and it is as it should be. When I run the engine the water heats up fine with all rads piping hot. When I run the webasto and give it a boost with the engine on for only 15 mins the water is acceptably warm. The pump on the webasto is working as it should be. I have also replaced the leisure batteries and they are as they should be. I am fast running out of ideas can anyone out there help.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:00am

If the old one coked up it suggests that it had been running for excessive time on its low power setting which in turn suggests the rest of the system was not dumping enough heat. From this we can guess that possibly the reason the system only gets luke warm is that the unit may be overheating and shutting down early and that would suggests a plumbing problem. Personally I would never link any of this type of heater's output with the cooling system because the engine will get to about 90C and I would trust the Wabasto's overheat system would cut in before that. I would also be a little concerned that a very slight head gasket leak could allow an air (gas) lock to build up somewhere in the heating system. I note that you do not specify who checked you plumbing so can not be sure it is correct or has been properly bled. If it was the person who diagnosed the coked up Wabasto I would be suspicious because fitting a new one (if it was new and not some Ebay bargain) seems a bit drastic. To be honest if all you say is true I can not see any reason it will not work, but lets hope another reader has had this problem and will share their solution with us. Tony Brooks

DJ
DJ

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:01pm

hi, you say your webasto and your engine are all linked together heating the water and the rads. i take it as read all worked fine before the new unit was fitted.i take it you have some kind of non return valve fitted so the webasto doesnt heat up the engine when running. id start with seeing if the engine is warming up with the webasto running, if so then that is where all your heat is going.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.