Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
DJ
DJ

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:05pm

Post Subject: cable

hi, can you tell me if there is anywhere i can find out the resistance values of multistrand cable so i can work out voltage drop to enable me to install the correct size cableing thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:31pm

The calculation is in the electrical notes on my website (tb-training.co.uk) but it is: 0.0164 x cable length in metres x amps then all divided by the conductor cross sectional area. For most general circuits aim for a maximum of 0.5 volt voltdrop total but for starter, charging and inverter circuits aim for 0.3v or less. For 12v electric fridges and freezers do not use cable any thinner than the manufacturer's recommendation which is usually 1 sq mm of conductor area for each metre run between batteries and fridge. Use the same size for the negative. If you want the formula written out properly then email me because this forum will not allow it. Tony Brooks

DJ
DJ

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:56pm

thanks for that. i would of thought different sized cables would have varying reistance values. but will go with your formula.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.