Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:12pm

Post Subject:

Dear Tony and any one else out there, could you offer any advise on the following query, I own a 50ft narrow boat and my only form of heating is a Morso stove I know the stove will take a back boiler which will heat radiators but my problem is that we are NOT live aboards and like to get to the boat as much as we can even through the winter but this year up to date is as bad as last year and when we get to the boat it can take many hours for the boat to get comfortably warm in the cabin at the rear, do you or any one have any ideas of a form of instant heating system, I know there are systems that operate on diesal but i do believe these require a constant 12v supply but as we do not have a 240v shore line supply to keep the batteries charged up this would put more strain on my battery bank (3x110ah) Any advise welcome, Thanks Alan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:54am

Post Subject:

Dear Alan, you have almost exactly described the decision I had to make about three years ago and my solution was the TALL Alde gas boiler linked to radiators. The modern small Alde does not allow any copper in the plumbing so to use one of those, even though it is more economical, will cost more initially. You do not get instant warmth but an hour should see the radiators warm. It does use an electric circulating pump but it only draws about 1 amp and is thermostatically controlled. My 330Ah bank copes well with it on 24/7 with the stat turned down at night. There are also warm air gas fired versions of the diesel blower heaters but I think the electrical load will be higher. I suspect you will get a lot of other advice - heating seems as divisive as toilet types nowadays! Tony Brooks

alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:05am

Post Subject: heating system

Thanks for your reply Tony, do you have any model numbers of the Alde TALL type boiler so i can investigate further, thanks Alan.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:37pm

Post Subject:

Mine is a 2928 but there ares several models. The squat one is the 3000 series. What is important is that you make sure that you are looking at the balance flue model (not one taking the air from below the floor) with a marine exhaust "chimney". The caravan chimneys look similar but are slightly different. See www.alde.co.uk Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:37pm

Post Subject:

Mine is a 2928 but there ares several models. The squat one is the 3000 series. What is important is that you make sure that you are looking at the balance flue model (not one taking the air from below the floor) with a marine exhaust "chimney". The caravan chimneys look similar but are slightly different. See www.alde.co.uk Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.53 seconds.