Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.


To go back to the experts page click here>>


Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:25pm

Post Subject: radio

hi tony are all marine vhf radios suitable for narrowboating or do i need a specific one so i can boat on tidal rivers etc


Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:14pm

Post Subject: radio

The only river I am aware of that makes VHF mandatory is the Thames below Brentford and even then there is a maximum length below which a set is not required. I think the limit is about 40ft but the PLA website will have thee act dimension. However VHF is certainly an important piece of safety equipment on any waterway here you are likely to meet large craft. The operator of a VHF set is required to pass an examination and get a license or the set. If the set is fixed to the boat then I think the boat will need a license as well. I think you should do your VHF radio course and then decide what set to buy based on what you learn on the course. You may well find it advisable to buy the same set as those used on the course so you are already familiar with it. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.46 seconds.