Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
paulkav
paulkav

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:06pm

Post Subject: Comparing boat to house

Can anyone tell me the difference in costs to owning a wide beam boat to owning a house in the Essex area,as my partner and i want to move nearer her parents who live in Essex

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:40pm

Post Subject: Comparing boat to house

Most people who do it, stick to the rules and are still working seem to find that the costs are comparable except some find living on the boat leads to a simpler, less cash hungry life style. As this is a canal magazine I assume that you are not thinking of trying to find a mud berth in one of the estuaries. The only inland navigations close to Essex are all rather too close to London to find cheap moorings and I expect you will find true residential moorings all but impossible to find and if you do you can expect to pay many thousands of pounds a year for them. You could investigate the Chelmer navigation, which is now run by the IWA but I doubt that will be any different to the BW navigations. If you are thinking about a mooring on the Thames or in a marina you will be in competition with yachties etc who seem to be willing to pay large amounts. Please investigate the mooring situation before doing anything and if you fins a mooring where the operator is myopic as far as livaboards are concerned you will have no security of tenure and think about the opportunities the operator will have in the summer of 2012. Please contact BW, the EA and PLA to get some idea about the regulations you may be faced with and the costs of moorings. If you decide to ignore the rules then living on a boat may be cheaper but at the risk of ending up in court and having the boat cut up. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.61 seconds.