Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
butler1
butler1

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:33pm

Post Subject: television reception

hi could somebody advise me what ariel would be best for hd freeview tv. in most areas of the contry especialy northampton area

alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:59pm

Hi There, I personally have an Omnimax multi directional aerial (it looks like 4 stretched wire coat hangers stuck together)although I don't have a HD box I do have a free view t.v. and in 99.9% of the time I get good reception although in all cases there is "pockets" of poor reception depending on the terrain, I then revert to the simple travel sat dish this doesn't get you the free view channels but it will at least get you some thing to watch but remember no matter witch system you use you will normally have to re-tune you t.v. after each days cruising as you will recieve from different transmitters on your journey, hope this helps, cheer's Alan

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:05am

Dear Andy, I also had an Omnimax multi-directional aerial until I had it knocked off on the Watford flight by a clown opening the paddles on the lock I was exiting before the gates had been closed so the aerial hit the footbridge. At 50 quid a time for just the aerial part I thought that an expensive replacement. I also found that in rather too many places for my likeing it produced bad ghosting on analogue TV. I now use an Image directional aerial (25 pounds), a digital signal finder (15 pounds), a long extending pole and the 12v aerial amplifier from the Omnimax. You must remember that a poor signal will not be made any better by the amplifier, it will just be a strong but poor signal. The extending pole is important because you need height on a boat because you are very often at almost the lowest point in the landscape. I use a 3-piece extending pole normally used by painters. There is also a question about the sensitivity of your TV some are far better than others at decoding weaker signals. As of last year we could get a decent Freeview signal with all expected channels for perhaps 80% of our locations, a restricted choice of channels for another 15%, analogue only at perhaps 4% and no signal of any kind at about 1%. I am a bit concerned over the HD aspect because that requires far more data to be transmitted but more to the point it could well imply a very large TV with its attendant electrical needs. Tony Brooks

cisco1
cisco1

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:34pm

i use a pro logic ariel from road pro on a 6ft pole and its a great picture dont know about hd though i live in a marina in leicestershire ijust move the pole until the pictures good

butler1
butler1

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:36pm

thank you all

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 45.  Total Objects: 164.  Total Unserialized: 5. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.