Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
phillip
phillip

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:34pm

Post Subject: wayward engine hour meter

I have a Barrus Shire ‘de luxe’ instrument panel with a digital engine hour meter some ten years old. Over the last year or so it has become troublesome on occasions. The read out becomes unintelligible and then disappears for weeks on end. When it returns it does not carry on where it left off but comes on with the correct reading. Barrus’s suggestion is a new meter circa £400. Do you have any suggestions as to a repair? Alternatively I have heard of a mechanical device that can be fitted to the engine and works on vibration but have been unable to locate one. In the meantime I am relying on my wristwatch (when I remember!) Regards Phil Reilly

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:40am

Although you do not specifically say so I think this must be one with a LCD display and LCDs have a minimum operating temperature below which they can play. If this only happens in cold weather I think its the nature of the thing. I also know that some LCD displays can suffer where a ribbon cable is fixed to to the actual display. Once you decide you are going to get a new one I would try dismantling it and see if a bit of gentle cleaning with isopropyl alcohol would restore the joint. I suspect this is a standard 50mm dia. dial and if so Vehicle Wiring products offer a mechanical number version at less than 40 pounds Force 4 offer an LCD one for less than that. If your hour counter is part of the tachometer then Durite units are available for about 60 Pounds whilst ASAP supplies list a unit with a digital hour counter at seventy two pounds. All you need to do is to make sure the instrument will fit the hole. Tony Brooks

phillip
phillip

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:03pm

Many thanks Tony. Regards Phil

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.