Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
cisco1
cisco1

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:29pm

Post Subject: boat pole

hi tony my roof pole has just gone missing how i dont know can you tell me were to get a new one from that does not cost the earth and also what length and diameter you might suggest its for a 40ft narrowboat thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:17am

Post Subject: boat pole

Many people suggest that you buy a length of banister rail from a timber merchants but this has dangers in that it will probably be pine of some sort and if it snaps while you are using it the pole is likely to break with long sharp pieces that could quite easily stab you badly. You need a wood that snaps without any long shards of wood. I think Ash is the wood normally used - hence the price. The length is really down to what you think you can handle but many boats carry two. One perhaps 6 to 8 ft long and another 10 to 12 ft long. The diameter is 2 to 3 inches typically about,. When my pole rotted I bought a new one from a chandlers (Uxbridge Boat Centre) and I do not recall it being horribly expensive. One just has whta they stock. Just think about the pain if a pole broke and punctured your intestines! Make sure you get a wood that breaks without sharp spears. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.