Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
davidf
davidf

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:30pm

Post Subject: RCD

I am getting a 55ft shell built.I am doing the fit out myself. I have done a re-build before. Can I self certify an RCD for the boat ? Or what do I Have to do to get one. ? Thanks Dave

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:50pm

It is perfectly legal for an OWNER fit-out to be done with no regard to the RCD PROVIDING the boat is not put on the European market within 5 years of completion. So if you are 100% sure there is no way you will be forced to sell the boat within the 5 years you only need to comply with the BSS. However it will be illegal to sell it within 5 years unless you get the RCD documentation done before the sale so you could end up with 55ft of expensive scrap. You might find someone to buy it "no questions asked" but I bet they would offer silly money! Personally I do not think it is worth the risk in the present economic situation so the RCD is vital. I looked this up for another reader recently and I found a computer program that claimed to help with the compliance work and there are also a number of surveyors who offer consultancy - all paid for of course. The RYA and Hampshire County Council provide guidance etc. You will have to ensure your hull builder hands over the RCD documentation for the hull as delivered and you will also have to ensure all the equipment you install is suitably CE marked for how you intend to use it (e.g. Having a CE mark for normal domestic use may not be acceptable for marine use). You will also have to ensure that you work to the relevant ISO standards. It all has to be recorded and the boat manual produced. I know of people who have done it all themselves but I suspect using a consultant or computer program as a guide would be the easiest way. I suggest that you Google RCD documentation and also RCD compliance. Then do the research and decide if secondhand looks a better option. Tony Brooks

amethyst
amethyst

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:23pm

Hi David I fitted out my boat to RCD standards 2years ago. I bought software called CE Craft for £275. It came with a brilliant fit out guide and all the spreadsheets to produce the Users Guide and Tecnical File. It also has the self cert forms,etc. The author,Jonathan Leask would also answer any questions by e-mail, usually the same or next day. I can recommend it and it turned out to be well worth the money. I,m a bit of a technophobe but still managed to use it. best of luck. Arthur Lewis

davidf
davidf

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:02pm

Thanks for the replies. What is the website for the ce forms etc. ? Again Thank you. Dave Feeney

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:16am

Try here for a start http://www.britishmarine.co.uk/upload_pub/GUIDE2 010r8_100614_Full_Document.pdf

amethyst
amethyst

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:33pm

Hi David Also try www.small-craft-consultancy.com Regards Ar thur Lewis

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.