Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
carol391
carol391

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:07pm

Post Subject: thickness of hull

we are thinking of buy a 1990 colecraft trad stern narrowboat, the survey states that it has a 6mm base plate, could any one give any advice as i have had different opinions,

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:05pm

Post Subject: thickness of hull

I am afraid that without measuring it no-one can be sure. I think Colecraft will build to the customer's requirements so if they wanted what by then would be a budget boat 6mm is perfectly possible. My own Colecraft 1991 boat built for Viking Afloat has a 12mm base plate (actually I suspect its 1/2 inch - much to my surveyor's surprise. As long as your surveyor checked the thickness by some form of non-destructive testing instrument like ultrasound then I think you should believe him. If however he just measured the plate where it overhangs the sides then on a 20 year old boat it is very likely to be well worn. There is nothing wrong with a 6mm base plate PROVIDING there is only minimal pitting and wear AND you are paying a budget price for it. If you are paying anything more you are never likely to get your money back. If the base plate is worn or pitted to more than perhaps 2mm you should factor into your offer the fact that you could in a few years need expensive hull over-plating. By 1990 I would have expected the base of a "standard" boat to be 8mm with many at 10mm but they are not like cars all built to a standard so you can not be sure. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.