Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Sheilatite
Sheilatite

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:20pm

Post Subject: Heating

Hello, could you tell me if it's possible To have under floor heating in a narrow boat. We have just placed an order for our boat and thought under floor heating might be the way forward. As this been done before

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:03am

Post Subject: Heating

Well, you say "As this has been done before" so presumably you know that it has been done. However although this is often discussed I think you need to think about it in the light of restricted underfloor space. If you are not very tall you could probably afford to raise the floor level to allow a decent thickness of insulation beneath the heating system whilst still allowing an air-gap above the ballast to minimise condensation by allowing air movement. Once you have that problem solved you are then faces with the form of heating you use. Electrical heating on a narrowboat is not likely to be usable unless you are either permanently connected to a shoreline or use a generator (but BW ban generators running between 8pm & 8am). I also have doubts about the ability of several of typical narrowboat boilers to push hot water through the small underfloor heating pipes. There may well be resale implications for a boat with an unusual heating systems. I am sure it could be done but very much doubt its wisdom. You will have enough trouble sorting out a reliable and economical boiler unless you go for a solid fuel stove without adding such complications. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.34 seconds.