Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.


To go back to the experts page click here>>


Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:40am

Post Subject: Cigarette lighter socket

Dear Tony, I want to replace the cigarette lighter socket on board my narrowboat. It is currently hanging down from the wires it is connected to. Is there a housing available that can be used to mount the socket to the wall? Also is there a difference between a DIN socket and a cigarette lighter socket? And if so which should be used? Do they both accept the same plugs?


Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:32am

Post Subject: Cigarette lighter socket

There is a difference between the DIN system and the cigarette plug & socket but you can get cigarette plugs that have a removable end to convert them to DIN plugs. Any good chandlery, Vehicle Wiring Products ( or even Halfords should be able to supply what you want. VWP list a bracket at 93p (plus £3.95 p&p!). I think it is more usual to use the cigarette socket because car type phone and computer plugs fit them. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.