Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
billy2005
billy2005

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:46pm

Post Subject: BMC 1.5 "Non Starter?"

Good Afternoon, would someone be so kind as to help rectify a problem with my 1.5 BMC.I have Installed new filters, new Injectors, new batteries, ground the valves, new head gasket,new heater plugs and primed the fuel system, the engine tries to turn over at high revs but just will not fire, I have removed the air filter and even lit a piece of rag on the air intake with no joy, we have checked the timing all ok, the only suspicious thing is, the crank bolt on the front end of the engine is very "Heavy" to turn, even with the heater plugs removed it was heavy to turn, if it were a petrol engine I would say the spark plugs were faulty? Any advice will be very helpful, we are going to take the head off again and check the pistons, ok thanks in advance, and sorry for the questioning. Best regards Paul.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:00pm

My guess at this stage is that you have not bled it correctly so please can you tell me the colour and amount of smoke coming from the exhaust when cranking. Is it a few wisps or a lot. I am assuming that you have the stop control lever on the pump set to the run position. I am also not sure what you mean by "prime" a step by step guide to what you did will help as well. Finally I fear the term "heavy to turn over" is not much help unless we know where you were turning it and what you were using t. turn it. A spanner on the crank nut produces a very different feel to a socket and 18" breaker bar. I'd not worry too much about the heavy until we find out about the smoke and how you primed it. Tony Brooks. PS I do not like the sound of it turning over at high speed - it could be a lack of compression but one can not gauge that when remote from the boat.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:01pm

Also see you say that you have checked the injection timing - how did you do that please. TB

billy2005
billy2005

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:30pm

Good Afternoon Tony, kind thanks for the rapidness of your response.I did not notice any amount of smoke from the exhaust whilst cranking maybe slight wisps and the stop control lever is in the correct position. We primed the fuel(bled the system),manually using the lift pump and cracking each injector in turn, we also bled each injector whilst turning over the engine and fuel was present. We checked the timing by removing the rocket cover and using a socket and an extension bar on the front crank bolt, I turned the bolt and my friend Rolly checked that clearance was visual at each stage, which there was?When I mentioned high revs, I had the throttle full ahead out of gear and the engine was turning over but not firing, Rolly placed his hand over the air intake which increased the speed of the engine turning over, but again it just would not fire up? Hope this helps, and thanks again for your advice Paul

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:08pm

Dear Paul, I am all but certain that its a problem with the bleeding. Unfortunately the forum software will not let me set out paragraphs so the text that follows ends up as a single big block. If you can not decipher it please email me direct (Tony@TB-Training.co.uk). 1. loosen the 5/8AF bolt that is mounted on the top of the fuel filter and which also secures the banjo from the leak off pipe. Use the priming leaver (long steady slow pumps) until pure fuel flows from the union with no air bubbles. If you can not get rid of all the air bubbles the lift pump cap or the suction fuel lines are probably leaking air into the system. When that is done tighten the bolt. 2. Inspect the pump BODY. NOT the turret with the levers on the side. on the cylindrical alloy section you will see an 8mm headed screw fitted int about a 12mm slightly domed nut. This is the best place for amateurs to bleed the pump (despite what manuals may tell you). Loosen the small 8mm bolt and use the priming lever again until there are no signs of air bubbles in the fuel. Continue priming for AT LEAST 30 seconds and if no more air comes out tighten the bleed screw. 3. Loosen each injector pipe union at the injector end and spin the engine on the starter until fuel is dripping or spitting from each union. As it starts to spit or drip from an individual union you can tighten it up. 4. BMC 1.5s can be a bit of a beast to cold start so fully open the throttle, hold the key in the glow/heat positions for a very slow count to 30. Then try to start it. If it will not fire within 30 seconds pause for 30 seconds and try the whole heat/start procedure again. If you do not have clouds of whitish smoke from the exhaust you still have a fuel problem. If you do have clouds of smoke then it is more likely to be a compression problem, timing, or injectors with the wrong nozzles fitted. However I bet it will start once you have bled it as instructed. If it still won't start I have another tip that might just work. Tony Brooks

billy2005
billy2005

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:50pm

Dear Tony, thank you so very much for taking the time to reply to my problems,I shall endeavour to follow this advice step by step in the coming days and I will mail you and tell you how I got on, hopefully this will work, as I say again very kind thanks and fingers crossed Paul.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.