Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
gedboyc
gedboyc

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:10pm

Post Subject: Diesel Tank Clean

Help Please. I have silt/particles and maybe a little water in my 40 gallon diesel fuel tank so need to have it cleaned out. No visible way into tank other than through refill.Seems to have a release valve at bottom so maybe could flush out? based on Aire Calder Leeds. Looking for suggestions or name of person/company who can do the job. Thanks Gerry

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:50pm

I can not help with names because I live in the south. As long as this is a narrowboat I would get something like a drill pump that can handle diesel and use that to make a sort of vacuum cleaner out of a length of hose and a bent piece of copper pipe. I would bend it so when its through the fuel filler the tip can be moved around the base at the back of the tank and then use the pump to suck as much of the dirty stuff out of the tank as possible. I the particles are black and floating they may be from disintegrating fuel hoses or be the result of bug. Bug will discolour fuel and make slimes a swell, often brown or black. As long as it is silt and water simply pumping it out as described and allowing it to so the good fuel can be poured back into the boat should do. If its rubber particles I fear you will have to try straining the fuel through some fabric. Bug will required the above and then the use of a fuel treatment like Marine 16. If you were down south you could also use the fuel polishing from service from Tooley's boatyard. Perhaps a reader up your way knows of a local fuel polishing service. Otherwise get quotes from boatyards/marinas. Tony Brooks

alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:07pm

Been there and got the "T" shirt. I had the same problem a couple of years ago and my only access was the filling apature. as tony suggested i purchased a small pump that fits on the end of an electric drill, however what i did was obtained several large containers i.e. clean plastic dust bins and entered the fuel with the hose off the pump a couple of inches at a time so not to disturb the rubbish at the bottom of the tank when i knew i was from 2 or 3 inches from the bottom of the tank i transferred the fuel to a seperate container of which was to be disposed of, i then put a few litres of clean fuel back in rocked the boat back and forth then pumped that into the container that was going to be disposed and did that several times remembering to get the hose as far to the rear of the tank as possible where the sludge and water will come to rest, when satified that the tank had been cleaned i pumped the "good fuel" back into the tank through a funnel with a gauze filter on it adding a fuel additive like Fuel Set or as suggested Marine 16. For the first time for some months I recently emptied my water trap bowl on the lower fuel filter and found the fuel to be clear of any paticles or water. This was not a difficult job, just a bit time cosumming but well worth it. Hope this helps, Alan.

wirren
wirren

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:31pm

I know Tony cannot make recommendations on specific equipment manufacturers so can I ask Alan what make of 'drill pump' he purchased. Or has anyone tried a VIRTREX drill pump, seen on Ebay. I just want to make sure that I get one that is suitable for getting any water / debris that may be in the bottom of the tank .... & not waste money on one that is not up to the job.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:41pm

I have just been on the Tooled up website where they list a number of drill pumps. I note that the make you mention just happens to be the cheapest and it is made clear it has to be primed. I do not recommend makes because I have no idea what is available in your area and ANY will do AS LONG as it says that it will handle oil & fuel and is preferably self priming. Please do not buy on price but also plan that the will be disposable and with a bit of luck it will remain usable for years. Tony Brooks

alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:11pm

Hi Wirren, i purchased my pump last year from my local CLARKE'S MACHINE MART (NO RELATION) i didn't buy on price but it was less than £10 + vat and it did the job very well and still use it. To stop the risk of any spillage when transferring fuel from a 20Ltr container into my boat i use the pump on a well charged cordless drill and it does this very quickly rather than trying to pour from a large container into a funnel where you always get splashing and some times over spill into the canal. Hope this helps, Cheer's Alan.

alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:42pm

Just an after thought to the original problem(maybe water in the fuel tank) i purchased some water detection paste, this is available on the internet but i got mine from my local fuel supplier, the kind of company who's tankers you see on the road delivering fuel to garages etc; as they use it for checking their Tankers,it was quite expensive,around £15 for the ammount you get but it will last for years. I have a lentgth of 10mm copper tubing and have shaped it so i can get to the lowest position of the tank where water would collect i then spread some of the paste (it's like a dark green tooth paste)on the tube,how far along the tube i spread it depends on how deep my fuel level is, only a very thin application is required hence how long the paste will last you, lower the tube with the paste on into the tank and move it about trying to get into all the lowest parts of the tank and then pull the tube out, if there is any water in your fuel the dark green paste turns bright pink at the point where water is. Again hope this helps,Alan

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 45.  Total Objects: 164.  Total Unserialized: 5. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.