Forums » Canal Boat Forum

Join in with our lively forums and swap information and news with fellow canal boat enthusiasts.

AuthorMessage
Tillergirl
Tillergirl

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:18pm

Post Subject: Protecting roof from honeydew

Reluctant to vacate otherwise glorious mooring but daily removal of honeydew coming from nearby oak tree is becoming a chore. Does anyone know of a means or product to protect the roof/paintwork in the first place?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:33pm

As the honeydew is the excretions from aphids that live in the oak tree and its a sugar rich sticky liquid substance I very much doubt any thing will prevent t sticking to the roof. Even if you managed to cover the roof with a non-stick frying pan type coating I very much doubt it would stop the honeydew sticking. The best that might do is to allow persistent and heavy rain wash it off to a degree. However such rain is unlikely to be frequent enough when the honeydew is about to make any difference. The green stuff the soon grows on the honeydew are forms of mould and lichen and that will initially be on the surface of the the honeydew. I think that you will probably have to reconcile yourself to washing the roof frequently. I suspect a hose fed soft brush as used on cars might be the easiest way and if you do not have a hose supply nearby it might be an ides to think about having a hose tap & connector fitted to the boat's domestic water system or even a pump to pump canal water through a dedicated hose. If you wash early in the morning before the boats get moving the water is less muddy than later in the day. I hope another reader has a proven solution to the problem. Who owns the mooring? could the overhanging branches be lopped?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:55am

Giving further thought to this. I have seen boats with pipe type hand rails rigged with canes across the boat lashed to the rails and then sheeting stretched over the canes. This was done to shield the roof from the sun in hot weather. You might be able to do the same so the sheeting caught the honeydew before it hit the roof but I dread to think what handling and regularly washing the sheeting would be like. I thinks it not practical.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 39.  Total Objects: 158.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.