Forums » Canal Boat Forum

Join in with our lively forums and swap information and news with fellow canal boat enthusiasts.

AuthorMessage
augustwill...
augustwill...

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:23am

Post Subject: Living on a Widebeam

Hello, I am new to the forum, and am looking to learn as much as I can about living on a canal boat. My young family is about to move from the US to London, and we are hoping to find a boat we can live on. We currently live out of our van in the states, saving up for our move. We love the idea of not having to pay rent, and owning something that will allow the flexibility, and be a bit more economically sound for our needs. My first question is, can you finance a Narrow, Widebeam canal boat, and have it be your primary residence? Thank you for taking the time! August

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:03am

Post Subject: Living on a Widebeam

I suspect when an inland boat is bought with a loan that loan is usually a personal loan from a bank. Companies offering marine mortgages are few if any. Then there are questions over your credit score in the UK and possibly your nationality. It sounds as if you think living on a boat will be cheaper than in a building. By and large if living on a boat while obeying all the regulations etc is not much cheaper than living ashore. People do it because they enjoy the life. If you are willing to ignore the agreements you make when you apply for your annual license and thereby risk court action to confiscate the boat then you can save money. Please do a lot more research on the requirements for licensing, insurance, Boat Safety Scheme, costs of mooring, fuels, maintenance, and the minimum distances you need to travel if you do not have a permanent mooring. The UK's major inland navigation authority has stated that it is unlikely that having a job at a fixed place or children is school will be compatible with registering as a continuous cruiser with no permanent mooring. The annual costs of keeping a boat with a mooring is likely to range from a minimum of about £5000 a year in the North to £20000 plus in London. Much more if you can find a mooring that allows you to officially live aboard,. Sorry to appear negative but your post suggest a degree of rose coloured glasses. Please do far more research. Start with the Canal and River Trust and the Environment Agency requirements for living on boats.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 39.  Total Objects: 158.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.