Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
nick1965...
nick1965...

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:08pm

Post Subject: Generator

I have recently bought a generator, is it safe to run it when its on a wooden chest at the stern of my boat without an earth spike? its well ventilated of course. I am getting advice from non boat users to say that I cant without an earth spike but i see plent of people doing just that. Thanks, Regards, Nick Phillips

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:58pm

I am not qualified to give advice on mains issues so I must advise that you discuss this with a properly qualified marine electrician but I will make some observations. However to a degree it depends upon the internal wiring in the generator. The earthing is there to provide an alternative path for fault current back to the generator so the RCD will trip. Without one you will not have RCD protection. You should earth the generator to the hull of the boat to provide that earth path and if you are plugging the generator into the boat's mains circuits AND those circuits are properly specified and installed this earth path will already be wired in. If it is not a fault on the mains wiring could make the whole hull live but you would not get a shock until you touched both the hull and generator - then it could be lethal because the RCD would not trip. If you also install and earth spike to the bank you are setting up potential electrical corrosion to the hull. Please take proper paid for advice - your life may depend upon it. Tony Brooks

nick1965...
nick1965...

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:26pm

Dear Tony, Many thanks for the reply, I shall heed this. Regards, Nick Phillips

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.