Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
alanclarke...
alanclarke...

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:42pm

Post Subject:

Dear Tony following an answer you gave to another boater regarding deck boards. one particular board in my engine room of my trad style boat is 3/4 inch x 3ft x 2ft in marine ply, yes it's strong but weighs a ton and nearly breaks your back getting it out of the engine room, you mentioned Buffalo Board and Hexagrip, are these strong enough and light enough to use in the size i have mentioned with out to much support, thanks, Alan.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:13am

Post Subject:

I am in the process of renewing my deck boards and have just picked up what is said to 18mm Hexagrip. However my estimate of the thickness is far closer to 12mm (I will know when I put a vernier on it tomorrow). It is plywood and from the colour of the cut edges I suspect its pine or birch but unlike most plywoods readily available I have never found any voids or filler in it. The edges do need protection to maximise life but 11 years ago the original boards were getting moth eaten around the edges so I hid them under alloy strip mounted on the top face. Only now is the edge rot enough to make me fear a board may eventually fall into the hole. I suspect this gives a life of perhaps 21 years. My largest board is 950mm x 1050mm which is about 3 x 3 so it should be plenty strong enough for your use. In fact many cruiser sterns have it spanning 3ft or more without support. I can easily lift the board but would not say it is light - it gets much heavier when the edges absorb water. Tony Brooks

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:13am

Post Subject:

I am in the process of renewing my deck boards and have just picked up what is said to 18mm Hexagrip. However my estimate of the thickness is far closer to 12mm (I will know when I put a vernier on it tomorrow). It is plywood and from the colour of the cut edges I suspect its pine or birch but unlike most plywoods readily available I have never found any voids or filler in it. The edges do need protection to maximise life but 11 years ago the original boards were getting moth eaten around the edges so I hid them under alloy strip mounted on the top face. Only now is the edge rot enough to make me fear a board may eventually fall into the hole. I suspect this gives a life of perhaps 21 years. My largest board is 950mm x 1050mm which is about 3 x 3 so it should be plenty strong enough for your use. In fact many cruiser sterns have it spanning 3ft or more without support. I can easily lift the board but would not say it is light - it gets much heavier when the edges absorb water. Tony Brooks

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:44pm

Post Subject:

I can confirm it is 18mm thick - despite looking thinner. I can not see it being any lighter than typical plywood but I think it is stronger and definitely more abrasion and weather resistant. TB

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.