Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Ray
Ray

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:00am

Post Subject: LED Tunnel light

Hi Tony, Have you come accross, or heard about, an LED tunnel light? I wonder if it's technically feasible? Regards Ray

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:09am

I have not heard about or come across LED tunnel lights. A tunnel lamp should have some kind of beam pointed at the tunnel roof to avoid dazzle. LED lamps are made up of a number of LEDs spread over a large surface area so making the production of a beam difficult. The other thing is that by definition the tunnel lamp is used when the engine is running so its consumption is covered by the alternator. I do not see that minimising consumption is a material consideration for such lamps. LEDs MAY give a longer life but I doubt the longer life would be cost effective given the premium charged for LED lamps. In my experience the metal parts of the lamp often fail before the bulb. Tony Brooks

Ray
Ray

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:59am

Thanks Tony for your well considered reply, Ray

anern2011...
anern2011...

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:02am

We are a professional led lights supplier,and maybe you can find the led tunnel light http://www.topledsupplier.com/LED-Tunnel-Light_2 72.html on the website.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:57pm

Oh dear, not only is the link given "not found" but when you wade through the UNPRICED website you find this thing requires 90 to 120 volts AC. It also gives a beam angle of 70 degrees vertical and 120 degrees horizontal so my comment about the lack of beam control seems fair. Maybe fine for those digging the tunnels but unless it costs less than £15 to include the inverter to provide the 90 to 120 volts this is NOT a tunnel lamp as understood by canal boaters. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.