Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Sailor...
Sailor...

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:37pm

Post Subject: Electrics

For the first time I am in the position to have a mains plug available all winter.How do I setup an automatic charging system to my two batteries (ie Starter & leisure)plus I would like to install two small thermostatic tube heaters.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:10am

Post Subject: Electrics

You will need a two output multi-stage battery charger, ideally from a reputable source. One output would be connected to one battery bank allowing one charge to charge both banks. However as the engine battery is usually fully charged by the engine using a charge on it may be overkill. If it ever did get discharged a simple jump lead between both banks' positives would charge it. For maximum safety and to comply with bets practise you will also need an RCD, mains consumer unit, an isolation transformer or As you have not mentioned these items I think you would be well advised to employ a marine electrician who understands mains on boats to install the system - remember mains can kill if you get it wrong. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 1.17 seconds.