Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
sa110_mk...
sa110_mk...

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04pm

Post Subject: Ignition will not switch off

My ignition has recently developed a fault where it will not switch off. The engine is a BMC 1.5 and has a pull stop, so I am able to stop the engine. I stop the engine and turn the key to the off position, but the orange light(alternator charge indicator) remains on. Also the grey box in the electrics cupboard has a red light on which stays lit. This is usually only lit when ignition is on. What also happens is that when I turn the key to the on position, the orange light goes out, this is opposite to what it used to do! I do appear to still be charging okay, just means I throw the isolation switch when the engine is not running to make sure the starter battery does not drain down. I have already replaced the ignition barrel and a relay that it goes into. But this has made no difference. Any ideas?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:04am

I am having difficulty understanding this because you only talk about a grey box and do not identify its maker or purpose. You also say that you have changed the ignition barrel but that is the part where the key fits into the centre of the switch. This would normally only be changed if you wanted to fit a new key or the old key broke off inside. It only allows the key to turn the switch and takes no part in the actual switching. Also you mention a relay that goes into the barrel. I assume you mean a relay connected to the ignition switch. I suspect this relay either energises the glow-plugs or the starter solenoid if this is a fairly modern boat. It could be used to supply the instrument electrics but that would be unusual. Some enhanced charging systems use a relay without more information I have no idea exactly what yours is for. I need a bit of history - did you change the switch and then get the problem. If so you have probably mis-connected at least one wire. Is this a very old boat with a Lucas 10 or 11 AC alternator (this may explain the relay). If we assume this boat is less than about 30 years old and uses one of the common alternators then you may have one or more faulty diodes in the alternator which would not necessarily stop it charging completely. To check this we need some charging current and charging voltage tests plus identifying the alternator. Current right at first start with the engine revving well and volatge after several hours running. Orange for a charge warning lamp is is not a common choice although probably hundreds of boats use orange. I need to be sure that you have not misidentified the oil pressure warning lamp as the charge lamp. If you have then I suspect the oil pressure switch has failed. If you can trace the cables, draw a diagram for me and identify the grey box and alternator then email them to Tony@tb-training.co.uk and I will see if I can throw more light on the problem. You can also send photos for the next week or so. Tony Brooks

sa110_mk...
sa110_mk...

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:27pm

The boat is a 1978 Sagar Marine. I purchased it in April. Since then have replaced both starter and leisure batteries and the alternator. These were done two or three months back. The problem only just started on Saturday evening when I turned off the engine. I first thought it maybe the ignition switch itself, which is why it was changed. That did not fix the problem. Next traced the wires from the switch back to a relay. Changed that, still the problem persists. The grey box I only mentioned because the red light would usually go off when the ignition is off. The orange light is definatley the charge warning lamp. The only thing I did do on Saturday was move some cables out of the way that were obscuring the oil filter, so I could take the number off it for a replacement one. I have since checked the cables that I moved and cannot see anything that has become loose. I will take another look at these cables over the weekend in the daylight. It is getting dark by the time I get in from work! I have included a picture of the grey box. The box has a red light on which is illuminated when the ignition is on and also a black push switch. No idea what it does! Be good if you could shed some light on that. Although I suspect, without physically inspecting it and taking it apart, you may have trouble as there are no markings on the box.

sa110_mk...
sa110_mk...

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:28pm

The boat is a 1978 Sagar Marine. I purchased it in April. Since then have replaced both starter and leisure batteries and the alternator. These were done two or three months back. The problem only just started on Saturday evening when I turned off the engine. I first thought it maybe the ignition switch itself, which is why it was changed. That did not fix the problem. Next traced the wires from the switch back to a relay. Changed that, still the problem persists. The grey box I only mentioned because the red light would usually go off when the ignition is off. The orange light is definatley the charge warning lamp. The only thing I did do on Saturday was move some cables out of the way that were obscuring the oil filter, so I could take the number off it for a replacement one. I have since checked the cables that I moved and cannot see anything that has become loose. I will take another look at these cables over the weekend in the daylight. It is getting dark by the time I get in from work! I have included a picture of the grey box. The box has a red light on which is illuminated when the ignition is on and also a black push switch. No idea what it does! Be good if you could shed some light on that. Although I suspect, without physically inspecting it and taking it apart, you may have trouble as there are no markings on the box.

Ignition will not switch off
Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:46pm

Unfortunately it is no good putting pictures on the forum. They are too small to see properly. This is why I asked you to email them to me. That box just might be a charge controller like a Kestrel or similar. The boat is old enough to be fitted with a Lucas 10 or 11 AC alternator and these had an external warning lamp control plus an external regulator and relay. It is also old enough to have had much modification with a lot of it not being very well done. First need to establish the type of alternator fitted so if you can EMAIL me a photo it will help. Then I fear some meter test will be required but I can not send you any test instructions on the forum. Tony Brooks

sa110_mk...
sa110_mk...

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:25pm

I have had an engineer look at my issue today. That grey box I referred to is indeed a kestrel charge controller. It would appear this has gone wrong and also caused a fault on the alternator which is causing the power drain. Just waiting to hear back from the engineer at Cow Roast for when he can fit me in.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.