Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
oldgeek...
oldgeek...

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:34pm

Post Subject: Why do bow thrusters have to be so noisy

Has anyone done a comparative survey of the noise generated by different makes and types of bow thruster. Some might have better quality bevel drive gears, plastic props might be better, larger tubes might give less cavitation noise and maybe steel tubes need damping material on the outside to stop them resonating.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:07pm

Post Subject: Why do bow thrusters have to be so noisy

I am not aware of any such surveys. I can not answer for the magazine but I am certain that there will not be the resources needed to do a proper study. Maybe if a number of readers with different makes and installations could be persuaded to get their boats to the same place and at the same time something could be done but if you think about it that is a very big ask and probably all but impossible to organise. I make two points. First the bowthrusters should only be used in bursts of a very few seconds so I doubt noise has much priority for the manufacturers. Secondly a prospective owner really should be willing to so a bit of checking by pressing the manufacturers for such data and trying as many boats at brokers as they can. You could even ask a boater who has a quiet installation about it. I note that at least one major player does not see fit to provide this information in their catalogue which may relate to my first point. I know GRP tubes are available but I suspect there may be problems in reliably fitting these to a steel hull. I also suspect you may find the hydraulic versions quieter than the electrical ones. Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.