Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
CBJOlive...
CBJOlive...

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:42am

Post Subject: Wood burning stoves

Currently i'm having problems with the flue pipe on my woodburner. I have come home to find that creosote has started running down the outside of the flue into the living room. Initially i thought i wasn't burning the fire hot enough but it hasn't stopped. Where the flue pipe goes up through the ceiling, it looks like the fire rope or whatever the previous owners put up there is saturated. How do i change this and what can i use?

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:14am

Post Subject: Wood burning stoves

First of all I must make it clear that there is now a British standard code of practise for installation of stoves in boats. It is not mandatory and at present the Boat Safety Scheme makes no mention of it. It is BSI Code of Practise BS 8511. I doubt your flue complies but at present there is no requirement for it to, but I would advise a CO alarm so if it leaks gas you get a warning. I think your chimney is a single wall one or a twin wall one that allows hot gasses to get between the two walls so read my answer to the "tar on roof" question just below this one. What I think is happening is that condensation is running down the outer skin of the chimney and pooling on the top of the chimney collar. This condensation is then finding its way through whatever "seal" has been made between the top of the flue pipe and chimney collar so it is leaking into the boat. You need a two pronged attack. First you need a double skin chimney where the inner skin fits inside the flue AND any gap that allows flue gasses to get to the outer skin is sealed. Next you need to make a liquid tight seal between the flue and the collar. I use high temperature silicon for all the flue seals on my boat although in theory it may not take maximum stove temperatures. At least this allows the flue to expand and contract without cracking seals like fire cement. If I was fitting the flue from scratch I would also try to make the pipe stand proud of the collar by about 3mm. As I said in the other reply if you want the diagrams you will have to email me direct. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.