Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
HWhite...
HWhite...

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:15pm

Post Subject: Starter Motor Problem

I have a Perkins 4.108 in my boat. Recently the starter motor has been playing up. Sometimes when I switch on, I get a click from the solenoid and the starter does not spin. Most of the time, the starter spins and the engine fires. The starter battery is fully charged (and shows around 13 - 14v) and I have checked and cleaned all the connections on the ignition switch and the starter motor. The starter motor is a Lucas M45G. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:27pm

Post Subject: Starter Motor Problem

Early Perkins 4-10x engines used an inertia starter while later ones used a pre-engage starter and both seem to get designated M45G, I think that refers to the actual motor part of it. If it is an inertia starter the solenoid will be a remote unit like older cars used. Otherwise the solenoid will be part of the starter assembly. This fault is likely to be either worn brushes in the motor. In which case a hefty thump with large soft mallet may appear to cure the fault - for a short time. Otherwise I would suspect the contact in the solenoid. In the case of an inertia starter start by replacing the solenoid. If it is a pre-engage unit send it away to be overhauled because there is a pinion throw adjustment that needs to be correct. If a new solenoid does not cure the inertia starter send the motor away for overhaul. look up Auto electrical in Yellow Pages. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.