Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Ela1ne...
Ela1ne...

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:48pm

Post Subject: Painting

Why did some paint come off with the masking tape, even though I used good quality low tack tape? It happened both with old paint and some of this year's.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:02pm

Sorry about this but probably because of less than optimum preparation/cleaning for one of the paint coats or incorrect removal technique. I think that ideally you pull the tape to one side and back on itself so you have diagonal roll across the tape and then roll it off the paint rather than pulling it at 90 degrees to the surface. I hope an experienced painter will be along to offer better advice. Tony Brooks

alanclarke...
alanclarke...

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:49pm

After watching a pro sign writer do our fancy work on our boat some 5 years ago we now use the same practice and that is to remove the tape soon after the paint job has been completed whilst the paint has not had time to dry hard. hope this helps, Alan.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.