Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
ottawa...
ottawa...

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:51pm

Post Subject: Battery charging

I have a 95amp alternator on Beta 42 engine to charge 3 leisure batteries which are 90 AH . Will the alternator cope ok with 3 x 110 ah batteries if I changed them?.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:12pm

Post Subject: Battery charging

If there was such a thing a 10 amp alternator would "cope" with a bank of 3 or even 10 110Ah batteries PROVIDING they are only very lightly discharged and the alternator was run for long enough. To be honest this question implies two things. The first is that you may well be suffering from battery problems and the second that you have a gap in your knowledge in respect of the relationship between the boat's electrical loads, the battery bank size, the alternator size and just as important your charging methods and regime. Now without a lot more information I can not give you much meaningful advice apart from to tell you that my 60 amp alternator copes very well with 3 x 110 Ah domestic batteries and one approximately 90 Ah starting battery. You really need to work through the power/energy audit and charging calculations that you will find on www.tb-training.co.uk in either set of notes. Then you can decide to alter your battery usage, modify your charging regime, alter the battery bank size or fit a larger output alternator. In reality I suspect it would be a bit of all the first three options. If you are having battery problems and can come back with your electrical loads, how long they are used each day and the time you charge for and at what engine revs I can probably be more helpful. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.